Monday, July 11, 2011

Strawberry Pie

I had some left over pie crust from the peach pie... and because Mr. Gingerbread likes strawberries, I thought I would make him a pie he would actually eat.


I think this pie crust sat in the freezer and thought about what it could do to screw this up. It was noooot pretty when it came out of the oven... more like melty, goopy mess in some spots... 


The good news is that the strawberries were perfect.  I had a mini freak-out at this point when I pulled the crust out and it looked awful... the recipe doesn't say prick the crust before you bake it... prick it.  If not, you will have what I had, a huge crust-bubble in the middle...  


This is a nice summer treat, because aside from baking the crust, it's a refrigerated pie. And even if the crust does mess up, you can cover it with strawberries and the jell-o sauce!


It's like intense strawberry jello... 


I made some whipped cream to go on top.  And at the Mr.'s request, I got him some vanilla ice cream to go on top.  It was so good, and probably healthy right???  I mean it's about 99% fruit... so surely it is.


I asked the Mr. if he wanted to take the pie to work to share like he did the peach pie, and he asked me if I was on crack...

Strawberry Pie (courtesy of allrecipes.com

1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shell
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
fresh mint
  • 1.  Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.

2.  In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until slightly cooled.

3.  Meanwhile, arrange strawberries in the crust. Pour gelatin mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate until set.  Garnish with mint if desired. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, well, "We here at work loved the peach pie and would really like the strawberry pie too, I'm sure"!!! Jacob is so lucky to be the taste tester!