Monday, July 18, 2011

Go MEAT!

I'm a carnivore.


The Mr. and I have had very little beef in our lives since we tied the knot.  So when he looks at me on Saturday night and says, "Wanna get some steaks?" I was like, "uh, yes!"


I went to the store and bought these guys and some Montreal seasoning.  Mr. Gingerbread told me to get "Canada" seasoning, soooo I figured Montreal was close enough...


Now of all the delightful, wonderful wedding gifts we received on and around our special day, a grill was not one of them.  Which is ok, because we really haven't got a place for a grill to live right now. (Did I mention it's a one bedroom?)


But I did get one of these! I spent about 5 seconds "googling" how to broil a steak in the oven, and this is what I found, can you see all the smoke?  Ya, that was *almost* a problem. 


The recipe I found said put some oil in the cast iron skillet and heat it up.  Then put the steak in there... My problem, too much oil in there... don't do that, it can be dangerous...  


But the outcome was totally worth my "smoked" eye balls. 

I also prepared what I feel to be the best side for a steak dinner - asparagus (especially when a huge potato with everything on it is probably just as unhealthy as the three cupcakes I had yesterday) 

This is one of my favorite veggies. 


They are so yummy. I believe it was my friend Brittany, who had me over to dinner numerous times when I lived in South Mississippi, that gave me this recipe. 


I probably should have made a third something to go into this meal... 


No, I think I'm good. 

This steak was so tender, and juicy. I like mine medium rare.... my dad says that's gross, but if he had this piece of sha-blam, I think it would change his mind!

The steaks were pretty large.  So we saved half of it for Sunday dinner, a steak house salad!


I didn't have a lot of extra veggies to put on the salad, but crumbled goat cheese, balsamic vinaigrette, cucumbers, and heart of romaine were plenty for this light summer dinner. 


Cast Iron Steak:

1.  Trim and season steaks.  (We used McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning, and 1 - 1 1/2 inch ribeye steaks)

2. Put a tablespoon or so of canola oil in a cast iron skillet, and put it in the oven set to broil at 400 (or 375 to be safer) degrees F.  (Canola oil has a high smoke point, so if you are watching it carefully (unlike me) it shouldn't fill your home with smoke) This won't take long.  

3. While your waiting for the oil to heat up, turn your stove-top burner to high. 

4. When the oil and the cast iron skillet are hot, take it out and put it on the stove top burner (and oh.wow. watch out! It will be SUPER HOT!).   With long tongs place your steak in the skillet.  Cook for about 30 seconds on each side to get a good sear.  

5. Put the steak back in the oven for 2 - 4 minutes.  (I flipped it during this time to get an even cook.)  This will cook it to a medium-rare.   Which as far as I'm concerned is the only way.

Garlic Asparagus

A bunch of asparagus
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

1.  Clean asparagus.  (I've heard you bend one till it breaks naturally, and that will show you the place where the freshest part of the asparagus begins. Then cut the rest at that place.) Then put the asparagus in a baking dish where most of the asparagus can be seen or spread out a bit.

2.  Mince garlic cloves and add to baking dish.  Salt and pepper to taste, and then sprinkle on the olive oil.  

3.  Toss with your hands till olive oil and other ingredients coat the asparagus.

4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees F, or until the asparagus is fork tender.  Stir it once or twice while it's cooking.  

1 comment:

Mrs B said...

Anything more than medium-rare is ruined. The salad looks really delish!