Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Italian Pasta and Bean Soup

I've been watching a lot of Gordon Ramsay. 

If you've never watched any of his shows before, make sure the kiddies are out of the room because his language is dirty dirty dirty... 

But his knowledge of cooking is amazing, and I was inspired to try this Italian soup this week to bring out the inner chef (not!).


The Mr. and I have also decided it would probably be cheaper, and possibly more healthy to have vegetarian meals a few nights a week.  


I don't know how long this particular health kick is going to last... I seriously cannot remember the last time I had a steak... and that is just sad... like hungry kitten sad...


However, as long as Publix continues to have two for one deals on diced tomato, we might be able to keep it up.


Also, till yesterday I had never had cannellini beans.  They are white kidney beans (so says the label on the can), and taste just like them too. And, fun fact, are low on the Glycemic index.


The Mr. wanted whole wheat pasta... I was sooooo saaaad when the store didn't have them, and I had to get the fatty mcfatterson white pasta. (can you hear the sarcasm? cause I can.)


I didn't have fresh parsley.  I started out buying it fresh, but I never use it all before it grows a personality in the fridge. So I sprinkled in some dry parsley.  It worked just as well.


This soup is so delicious!  But in Florida where it's a billion degrees outside... a hot soup does not help.  


So I found something to cool things down! Yes indeed.


Italian Pasta and Bean Soup (courtesy of Women's Day magazine)

    • 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
    • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 1⁄2 cups farfallini (small bowtie pasta), tubettini or other small pasta
    • 2 cans (about 15 oz each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
    • 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
    • 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan
    1. Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a 3-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until light golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
    2. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 5 minutes.
    3. Stir in beans and tomatoes; cook 4 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove from heat.
    4. Stir in parsley, cheese and remaining 2 tsp oil.

No comments: