Friday, July 22, 2011

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

I love chocolate and peanut butter (like a lot), especially when they are together.

They really do have the perfect marriage... we could all learn something from chocolate and peanut butter.

So, I tried something I have always wanted to - chocolate and peanut butter whoopie pies! They are a cakey, cookie sandwich with icing filling the middle... like your own personal cake. This is what the world is coming to, our own personal little cakes for everywhere we go!


Being full of the American spirit, it has a ton of butter in it. (yes!)

This recipe (a little misleading) said it only made 6 whoopie pies.  Well, I was going to send them to Mr. Gingerbread's office so he could share, and 6 wasn't going to cut it.


So I upped it to 10, and oh man... it makes waaaaaay more than that.  Maybe they wanted whoopie pies the size of a dinner plates. 


I ate a lot of this stuff... which I know is probably not safe, but it was soooo good! I really like that coco- chocolate deliciousness, and I knew I wasn't going to make 30 whoopie pies... Just didn't want to waste it, we are in a recession.


The recipe said peanut butter icing would be good, and it is... but I think next time its going to be cream cheese! I used natural peanut butter because that's what I had, I think a sweeter (not-natural?) type would be better, as long as it's creamy.


This recipe makes the sandwiches more like cookies than soft cake.  So if you like a little crunch, this is perfect! And all that with a creamy, peanut butter filling.


Everyone should experience whoopie pies.  Just ask Paula Deen.  It was on her show that I first saw these a couple of years ago. And what makes them even more awesome?? You can make them into your favorite type of cake!


So next time it's probably going to be a red velvet whoopie pie with delicious cream cheese frosting! 

Brace yourself!

Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Frosting (Courtesy of Allrecipes.com)
  • For cookies:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 egg

  • For Peanut Butter Frosting:

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1. Cream together 1 cup of the butter or margarine and the egg. Add 1 cup white sugar, vanilla and hot water. Stir in the flour, cocoa, and baking soda and mix well.  (I sifted the dry ingredients together so that they were nice and mixed before adding them to the wet ingredients.) 

  • 2. Drop from a teaspoon onto cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Sandwich cookies together with Peanut Butter Frosting. I did 10 minutes and they came out fine, but like I said in "New Fridge", my oven is about a billion degrees too hot.

  • 3. To Make Peanut Butter Frosting: blend 1 tablespoon butter and peanut butter. Stir in confectioners' sugar and add enough milk to make frosting soft enough to spread. I put a little vanilla extract in mine just to add a little more flavor. Spread between the flat sides of two cookies and sandwich together.

  • Recipe says it yields 6, but probably close to 18 smaller ones. 


1 comment:

Ila Stuart said...

I am going to have to try this. :)