Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mom's Chicken and Rice

This is one of my favorite meals that my mom cooked for me growing up, and it's also one of the simplest.  


It's comfort food! Butter, rice, chicken - and all in a creamy mushroom soup sauce.  It's easy and cheap; two things every bride needs in her weeknight meal arsenal.


Looks like a lot of butter... it is.  But the rice soaks it all up and becomes super delicious.  I never said it was healthy, but after a long, stressful day I want comfort, not healthy. 


I was so hungry getting this into the over, I forgot to take pictures... so you get a rice, soup, pre- awesome sauce picture. 


See those beams of heavenly light coming off of it? Yes, that can be in your kitchen tonight!


Mmm, rice. Get in my mouth! I could live on that rice.  It's so quick and easy, and with just the two of us, the leftovers last and last.  Another thing a bride needs: two nights in one! 


GiGi couldn't care less... She was actually snoring today... snoring! oh, story time: 

Last night we had another really bad lightening storm, we get those from time to time.  And this time we had a little frightened puppy. 

GiGi sleeps buried in blankets in her little bed in the walk space between my side of the bed and the wall.  

So last night (I should say early this morning - 3:30 AM) the thunder started getting louder and closer, which woke me up.  I roll over and there is a little puppy head peaking over the side of the bed - shaking like a leaf.  

She gets out of her bed, walks over to the other side of our bed (she needs a running start to make it on the bed, so she jumps from the other side...) and jumps right in....
Usually she sleeps in her bed, but we made an exception last night because she was so scared.

We all survived. 


Also, I have been out for a while because of this monster. This is my wildly awesome science classroom! School starts in a few days and I've got a lot of work to do! Wish me luck!

Mom's Chicken and Rice

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup of Water
1 cup of Rice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic salt
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 Cup of Butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2. Melt butter in your baking dish. I put the stick of butter in the oven in the baking dish and let the pre-heat melt it.  Watch it though, you don't want burnt butter!

3. In a large bowl, mix cream of mushroom soup, water, and rice together with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. 

4. Season chicken lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic salt.  

5. Put chicken in the melted butter and turn to coat.

6.  Pour soup and rice mixture over the chicken and  put it in the oven, loosely covered with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.  Then remove aluminum foil and continue to bake for 20 more minutes, or until rice is done. 

Enjoy!



No comments: