Thursday, August 11, 2011

Artichoke Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

I've always wanted to do this.


Take two of my favorite things and smoosh them together.


Artichokes and mushrooms... really really big mushrooms. (P.S. Don't you love my little plastic lemon? So fresh...)


I made the 2 portion recipe, and it didn't seem like enough, seems how we were having these for dinner. So I basically made enough for three.  I guess my portabella caps are bigger than their portabella caps.  

I'm not surprised. 


This was my first time ever cooking portabella caps... btw take the stems off... you don't want to eat those.. Mr. G told me this as the caps were going into the oven already stuffed... sooo a little too late to fix it.


Taking the ribs out is optional... but when I do this again I probably will. They render this gross looking brown liquid that doesn't taste bad, but doesn't look good.


The stuffing has basically everything I love in it. Cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, garlic, and artichokes... The recipe called for grape tomato on top before adding more cheese.  You can try this, but I was cooking for a tomato hater. 


It smelled great coming out of the oven.  It tasted great too! If you like artichokes you will love this.  It has a very strong artichoke flavor.  And the portabella tastes awesome.  They are meaty and filling, you won't miss the meat at all!


Also, make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature.  That way it will mix better into your stuffing.

And yes, these were meant to be grilled. Do I own a grill? No. Did I want portabella mushrooms for dinner? Yes. So I adapted.


Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms for Two (adapted from Food.com's Grilled Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms)

2 Large portabella caps
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Stuffing:

1/4 cup for stuffing and 3/4 tablespoon to top with - grated parmesan cheese (separated)
1 (5 and 1/4 ounce) jar artichoke hearts drained and coarsely chopped 
1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
1/8 cup sour cream
3/4 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large clove of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oregano
1 and 1/2 green onions very finely chopped

*I used fat free cream cheese and low fat sour cream to cut calories.

1. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the stuffing. Salt and pepper to taste and set it aside.  You can cover and chill it if you aren't using it right away.

2. Wash mushroom caps and remove the stems and ribs if you desire. Brush with olive oil until coated, then lightly season with salt and pepper.

3. Divide stuffing between the two caps, and spoon it on in.

4. (At this point you can cover with tomato, sprinkle with olive oil, and then cover with cheese) If you're not using tomato, top the stuffing with grated parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese, and then lightly sprinkling with olive oil.

5.  Bake stuffed caps at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until the caps are tender. 

Enjoy!

No comments: