Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

It was just one of those days when you want something sweet and simple.  So I made an old favorite.


Some of you might recall the last cupcake debacle... not cool... However, you can now see my "Easter-ish" cupcake cups just waiting. Last time I did not have these...


My good friend Anna (I'm not talking about me... I'm not that crazy yet...) is getting married this December and today we were talking about songs she should play at her wedding.  Songs like:

"Yeah" by Usher 
"Tootsie Roll" by 69 boyz
and basically everything by Journey...

She wants everyone to have "musical whiplash" before the night is done.


Oh, and while I was writing lesson plans today, I tried to work in how I used to wrangle mosquitoes before I began to teach... I don't know why.  I think it's somewhat interesting... and gross... kids like gross stuff right? like the word "poop" and Justin Bieber... 


On that note, take a look at that lovely brown color... I'm kidding...

I'm a sucker for cake batter.  I would eat it all the time if I knew it wouldn't kill me.  I do try to squeeze it in wherever possible.  Actually, I take that back... For my dear friend Anna and the lovely bride's maids dresses she has chosen for us. It must fit!



I really need an ice cream scoop.  That would be the second one I need.  A tiny melon baller one and a legit ice cream scoop... 



3/4 full.  Just like it said.. some might have had more, but that just means they had more cake.  And there is nothing wrong with that.




I think my icing could have been stiffer... but I was in a hurry to stuff my face. 


See how much better they look than last time?? Wow, it's like extreme home makeover edition... I'm just waiting for Ty Pennington to jump out with a bullhorn and say "Move that cupcake wrapper!!!"


Chocolate Cupcakes (Courtesy of Allrecipes.com )
For 16 cupcakes
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk 

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.

  • 2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.

  • 3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Frost with your favorite frosting when cool.


Buttercream Frosting (Courtesy of Joyofbaking.com )

2 Cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons milk or light cream
Food coloring if you desire. 

No comments: