Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Low-Cal Chicken Alfredo

I know what you're thinking...


That low-cal chicken alfredo is about as real as Santa Claus. But let me assure you, (spoiler alert) the alfredo is for real.  


I found this recipe right after we got married, and it's been true love ever since.  Instead of a heavy cream  sauce, I use fat free cream cheese and skim milk.  

Ya, we made the switch to skim milk about two months into this marriage, and the transition was quite smooth.  However, whenever I have 2% it's like drinking heavy cream.  


This recipe is delicious and mildly good for you! Garlic, romano cheese, cream cheese (my faaaaavorite), and chicken.  Just think, eat enough of this stuff and you'll be as skinny as those chicken breasts...  

Ok, maybe not..  that's what I get for being cheap....


Grate up all your cheese before you get started.  This way you can continually stir your roux-milk mixture and not end up with a burnt mess.   


The recipe calls for fresh parsley.  And until yesterday I didn't own fresh parsley, so I used dry.  It turned out fine, and then I bought an actual parsley plant.  

I feel so organic right now.


I cooked the chicken before adding it to the cheese and milk mixture.  It's not in the recipe, but you gotta get that protein to go with your cheese.


GiGi tried to type.. it was ADORABLE!  She's perfect...  


And so is this (low-cal) chicken alfredo.  I used lemon juice instead of lemon zest. It's a quick week night meal, and you can always buy shredded parmesan and skip the whole cheese grating step.  It's so creamy, and tastes delicious! 

Low-Cal Chicken Alfredo (adapted from FoodNetwork.com)

1 Tablespoon butter
1 Clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed from the plastic lemon juice or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 Teaspoons all purpose flour
1 Cup non-fat 0% milk (or low-fat 2%)
Kosher salt
2 Tablespoons fat free cream cheese
3/4 cup grated romano or parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or dry parsley
Fettuccine noodles 
Freshly ground pepper
2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut up and cooked

To make the sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. 
2. Add the garlic and lemon zest or lemon juice and cook until the garlic is slightly soft, about 1 minute. 
3. Add in the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about a minute until it forms a roux. 
4. Whisk in the milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, whisking constantly, until just thickened, about 3 minutes. 
5. Add the fat-free cream cheese and parmesan cheese (or grated romano); whisk until melted, about 1 minute. 
6. Stir in the chopped or dry parsley.
Cook your chicken. I boiled mine, and then my husband was like, "Doesn't that boil all the flavor out?" And I was like, "shut up."
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes (this is what food network said, but I cooked my pasta according to the package directions till al dente). Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.
Add the sauce and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and gently toss to combine, adding more cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with parmesan and pepper.
Enjoy!


No comments: