Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lil Scott

So every Thursday or so I clean our apartment. Trust me it's not that big a deal.  It takes me about an hour (if that) to vacuum and everything.  Sometimes I wait till Friday, but tomorrow at 4:30 AM (ew) I'll be getting up to catch my flight back to Mississippi to visit this lil nugget,


This is Scott, my week old nephew! It is so surreal when your brother grows up and has a baby of his own.  I mean that was the guy that grew up down the hallway from me, and who is looking mischievous in all our baby pictures together!

This morning to celebrate finishing the apartment, a workout, and the bulk of the laundry I made an iced coffee for myself.  It so simple, you just make a pot of strong coffee or use coffee from the morning and chill it in the freezer.  I've read where you can even make coffee ice cubes and blend them for slushy coffee, but that's too much time between me and chocolate awesomeness.. and I don't have a blender. :(

Then I simply put the chilled coffee, ice, non-fat milk, no-cal sweetener (splenda, truvia or good old sugar!), and as much chocolate syrup as I can in a big cup.  I usually put a full cup of coffee in, and half as much milk. 

You can see me trying to save up my calories for the chocolate syrup by using truvia and non-fat milk.  Ya, it didn't work... but that's why God created people like Tony Horton

Then I stir. You can shake if you are feeling "Bond-ish"...

Speaking of Bond, you know what else would go well on iced coffee?? Whipped cream! 

Homemade whip cream is the best and it is sooo easy to make.  Alton Brown says to put the bowl you are going to mix in and your hand-held mixer attachments (what are those things called???) in the freezer for 15 minutes prior to mixing.  I tried this, and it makes things go a lot faster.  
To make the whipped cream you just put 1 cup of HEAVY whipping cream for every 2 tablespoons of sugar (or splenda I guess, but who wants healthy whipped cream? no one. the end.)


See, Scotty likes it!

Then when the peaks happen, you  devour, and hopefully some will make it to the coffee.  Once those peaks happen, don't mix any more, or you end up with sweet butter. Which is also delicious on just about everything.

You really can't go wrong with heavy cream. 

No comments: